Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Licences and registrations for fish and shellfish farms

What you must do

In Northern Ireland, you must hold a fish culture licence from the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD).

DAERA: Fish culture licence

In Scotland, you must register with the Marine Scotland within two months of stocking your farm and commencing business.

Marine Scotland: Aquaculture

You must have a seabed lease from the owner of the seabed, normally the Crown Estate, if you operate a:

  • marine cage fish farm
  • shellfish farm with physical structures on the seabed, for example bottom cultivation of bivalves.

Crown Estate Scotland: Marine aquaculture

Crown Estate: aquaculture research

In Shetland and parts of Orkney in addition to a seabed lease, you also must have a Marine Works Licence from the islands councils. In Shetland, the North Atlantic Fisheries College now processes applications for Marine Works Licences.

North Atlantic Fisheries College

Orkney Islands Council: Contact details

Good practice

In Scotland you can apply for a Several Order. This order will give you an exclusive right to deposit, propagate, dredge, fish for and take shellfish within the limits of your fishery. The order will relate to named species of shellfish and will be granted for a set period. When you apply for the order, you must submit a detailed management plan.

In Scotland a 'responsible organisation' can apply for a Regulating Order to manage and conserve a wild shellfishery. The organisation can then use licences to control the number of people who may fish there and regulate the fishing effort they make.

Marine Scotland

In Northern Ireland you can apply for a Shell Fishery Licence. This licence gives you an exclusive right to deposit, propagate, dredge, fish for, and take shellfish within a certain area. The licence will relate to named species of shellfish and will be granted for a set period.

DAERA: Guide to fish culture licensing 

Additional resources


Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.


  • Please let us know your thoughts on our new website

    What do you think about our new and improved website. We want your feedback on what you like, what you don’t like and ways we can continue to improve the website. Follow the link to complete the very short survey: NetRegs website – User feedback

  • NEW guidance on Environmental Management Systems

    We have recently updated and improved our guidance on Environmental Management Systems (EMS). You can find the guidance via the Environmental Topics tab or alternatively select the following link Environmental Management Systems (EMS).

  • Consultation on proposed changes to the packaging recycling business targets

    See NI Future legislation or Scotland Future legislation for details of the Consultation


  • NIEA Guidance - Greenfield Excavated Matrials in Construction

    NIEA and the CEF have developed a Regulatory Position to promote Sustainable re-use of natural excavated material from Greenfield sites.

    NIEA: Guidance on the Regulation of Greenfield Excavated Materials in Construction and Development

  • New GPP 2 Above Ground Oil Storage

    The replacements for the PPGs are being developed. Now available GPP 2 Above Ground Oil Storage

  • SEPA Consultation on an Intergated Authorisation Framework

    SEPA is asking for your views on the proposals for integrated authorisations.

    Consultation documents

  • GPP 24 Stables, Kennels and Catteries

    NEW GPP 24 now available: Stables, Kennels and Catteries

  • ENDS Award winner

    NetRegs; Winner of a prestigious ENDS award 2017

    Knowledge development category winner, see the ENDS Awards

  • NetRegs wins an ENDS Environmental Impact Award

    Knowledge development category winners, see the END Awards

  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Download our NEW leaflet today: Duty of Care for waste

    NetRegs have produced a new leaflet for Scottish businesses explaining what you must do to comply with YOUR duty of care for waste.

    Duty of Care for waste (Scotland) leaflet (PDF - 775KB)


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms